Table of Contents
The site is experiencing technical difficulties
If you are Blogger then you might already be aware of the extreme popularity of the WordPress Content Management System. WordPress is one of the best and most used CMS on the Internet.
According to Kinsta, WordPress alone powers 33.6% of all websites on the Internet. Which is almost ⅓ rd of the Internet.
Also, WordPress has a huge directory of Plugins and Themes that can extend the functionality of websites with ease.
If you are into the world of coding you might be knowing that great releases often come with great Bugs.
The site is experiencing technical difficulties:
As of now, the latest version of WordPress is Ver 5.2 which went live on May 7 2019. Version 5.2 is released with several new features. It is mainly focused on troubleshooting errors and fixing configuration issues and fatal errors.
Sadly with the latest update, few WordPress users are facing an error that is restricting users from accessing the login page.
Several WordPress users have witnessed their sites throwing “The site is experiencing technical difficulties” error when trying to login to their websites after updating to WordPress version 5.2.
Every time a new WordPress version release it brings some errors to users. There will be several reasons for these errors and some of the common errors are:
- Bugs in WordPress release.
- Incompatibility of plugins with the new WordPress release.
- Incompatibility of Themes with the new release.
- PHP version Error.
These are some of the commons causes that often become the reason for errors.
Quick troubleshooting will give an idea why your site encountered the error.
If you are the victim of the error “the site is experiencing technical difficulties” then here are some of the reasons and fixes to solve the error and retrieve the WordPress Dashboard.
To know the exact the reason for this error you can check your email sent by the WordPress installation. The email may contain data associated with the problem and this error information can help you in fixing the issue quickly.
If there is no mail in your email inbox, check the spam folder as well.
Some users reported that everything was fine after the update but as they played with settings and plugins the error popped out from nowhere.
This is because of the incompatible Plugins and Themes. To quickly solve the issue you need to recollect what you were tweaking before seeing the error.
Chances are that you might be doing one of the Below:
- Updating or Installing a new WordPress Plugin
- Updating or Installing a WordPress theme.
- Error with PHP version.
If you have changed any of the above then here is how you can solve them.
Solving Plugin Related Issues:
- If you believe that the issue is associated with plugins then here is a quick fix you can do to get rid of the error.
- Make sure you have access to either cPanel or Site Directory through FTP.
- Now access your site directories either through File Manager in cPanel or through FTP using FileZilla.
- Now go to the location wp-content/ directory and rename the plugins/ directory to pluginbackup/ now try to load your site. If your site loads then the issue is because of plugins.
- Now rename it back to the original name and dive into the Plugins directory.
- Rename every plugin directory by adding “backup” to the existing directory name. Do this one by one and try reloading the site every time you rename a directory.
This way you can identify the plugin that is causing the issue. After finding the plugin simply delete it.
If everything is good with the plugins then the culprit of this error might be your themes.
Every WordPress version comes with default themes Twenty Nineteen and Twenty Eighteen etc. Well, most users never use these themes.
It is suggested to deactivate and remove themes which you don’t use.
To solve the Issue go to Themes directory in wp-content/ folder and inside the themes directory try renaming the folder name by adding the word Backup after the existing name Just like how you did above with plugins directory.
Refresh your site every time you rename a theme directory and check if your site is working!
If the error is because of the theme Delete it if you don’t need it. If you are deeply dependent on theme try solving the issue. Also, get in touch with the theme author if it isn’t you who developed the theme.
Solving Issue with PHP Version:
It is a known fact that most of the Shared Hosting plans of Web Hosting services still use Older PHP Version.
But WordPress 5.0 and later recommends PHP Version 7.0 and later which is secure.
Step1: Login to cPanel
Step2: Go to Select PHP Version
Step3: Choose PHP Version 7.1 or 7.2
Using older PHP versions will leave you vulnerable to security, and incompatibility issues and this could be the reason for affecting your WordPress site.
If you are not aware of Upgrading the PHP version to latest you can take support from your web host provider.
We suggest you try switching PHP Version 7.1 or 7.2 it can solve your problem.
Sometimes reverting back to previous WordPress version might solve the issue for some users.
If the above work arounds haven’t worked for you then try downgrading the WordPress installation to previous version.
Here is how you can do it:
- Download the zip folder for the WordPress CMS From the WordPress directory.
- Now we extract the WordPress zip file to your machine.
- Now through FTP access your web hosting site directory and delete all the folders and file except wp-config.php and .htaccess.
- Now upload the other files and folders from your local machine to your webserver directory.
- This is how you can downgrade your WordPress installation to quickly recover your site.
Hope one of the above work arounds work for you and will help you in recovering your site quickly when it shows ” the site is experiencing technical difficulties” error.
Meanwhile wait for the WordPress developers to fix the bug and keep updating your WordPress installation to latest version to check the fix to the above bug.
If you face any other difficulties feel free to share your opinion through comments below. We will assist you.